top of page

Have you been mis-sold shares?

Shares can be a risky investment and you need good advice when deciding where to invest your money. Thousands of Hallbrook clients didn’t even know that they had been mis-sold shares, sometimes up to 20 years ago. At Hallbrook we’ve been investigating the share dealings of many stockbroking firms since 2008. It’s clear to us that share mis-selling has been a significant problem affecting a great many investors for at least two decades. If you think you’re affected, get in touch.


How does it work?

How does mis-selling occur?

Mis-selling claims can arise for a variety of reasons:


  • The firm was trading as principal but didn’t disclose this

  • Risks were not adequately explained to you

  • The firm failed to properly assess your financial circumstances

  • The shares weren’t suitable for you

  • The broker gave you false or misleading information

What's the claims process?

Most of the cases we handle at Hallbrook are presented to the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS).


This is because most claims are related to stockbrokers who have gone out of business. The FSCS is the statutory fund of last resort and basically steps into the shoes of any regulated firm that has been declared in default.


The FSCS limits compensation to £85,000 per eligible person per firm, for firms which failed on or after 1st April 2019. This figure drops to £50,000 per eligible person per firm, for firms which failed from 1st January 2010 to 31 March 2019. For firms which failed before this date the amount is £48,000.


The FSCS is a free service so you can make a claim for compensation yourself. To make a successful claim, you must provide sufficient evidence to prove that a civil liability exists against the firm. You will also need to demonstrate where the liability exists and present this to the FSCS.

Or you can contact Hallbrook and we’ll do it all for you.

What if the firm is still trading?

Then your complaint must be made directly to the firm. There are regulatory procedures and timeframes the firm must comply with when dealing with any complaint.


If you’re unhappy with the final decision, your complaint can be referred to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS). You can refer your complaint independently to the FOS at no cost or Hallbrook can do it for you.


If you’re unsure whether you have grounds for a complaint to the firm, contact Hallbrook today and we will quickly establish if you have a solid basis for a claim.

Hallbrook were proactive in acquiring information of some share transactions I made almost 20 years ago as a result of miss-selling.

John Austin

How can Hallbrook help you?

Hallbrook provides unparalleled claims support to people who have been mis-sold financial services. We help them achieve justice and gain the compensation they deserve. We also publish what we’ve learned representing these private investors, to stop other vulnerable people falling victim to these mis-selling scams. This way, we make it possible for anyone to take control of their money and make better-informed decisions. Since 2010 we have successfully recovered over £60 million in compensation and continue to recover millions every year.


Our Fees

Nothing to pay upfront

We operate a conditional fee agreement, which means you only pay us on the successful completion of your claim.

Please see full Terms for cancellation fees following the 14 day cooling off period.

Successful claims

When your claim has successfully completed, we will charge a fee based on the amount of compensation awarded of between 18% and 36% inc VAT.

Our fees also benefit from a Fee Cap, which means you could pay less. For more information see our full Terms.

Appealing a claim

If you have already claimed for compensation but didn’t receive the amount you’re entitled to, we may be able to appeal on your behalf.

This Fee will be deducted from your compensation and upfront fees do not apply. See full Terms.

bottom of page